Thursday, November 19, 2009

Fun in the Mud

During October we had a lot of rain. Whenever it wasn't raining, Dallin and I were outside getting my flower gardens winter ready. Normally I can do about 45 minutes of yard work before Dallin is done, but because of all the mud, we spent two hours outside one day. As long as Dallin could dig in the mud, he was happy. He is a great helper digging holes and pulling out weeds or dead flowers. We spent so much time though pulling things out, he had a hard time remembering not to pull out the new flowers we just put in! Although we were a mess, our hard work is paying off now as everything is growing nicely.
Part of living here is dealing with fire ants. As I was cleaning out beds, I stepped in an ant pile. I threw off my gardening shoes and socks as quick as I could. If you have ever had a fire ant bite you know how painful they are. The only other shoes I had left to wear that I was ok getting muddy were my flip flops. Luckily I stayed away from any other ants.
One of the problems with Dallin helping is his attraction to bees. My Mexican Heather (in picture below) attract bees and so Dallin pushes his way through the bushes trying to touch them. I'm constantly pulling Dallin back away from the bees. Luckily the bees like Dallin because he has never been stung. They don't seem to mind him trampling through the flowers (I do though.) Dallin now calls bees "ouchie".

No comments: