Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Changed For Good



"It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime.
So let me say before we part
So much of me is made of what I learned from you.
You'll be with me like a hand print on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine by being my friend.
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
I do believe that I have been changed for the better.
And because I knew you...I have been changed for good."
"For Good" from the musical Wicked

Dallin's birthmom passed away on the 31st. I'm not sure if anyone, besides those on the adoption path, can understand a relationship between a birth mom and an adoptive mom. He is never just my baby. Yes Dallin is meant to be in our family and is sealed to us, but he has two moms who will impact his life. I feel like I have an extra responsibility to be the best mom because someone else entrusted me with the care of her baby. Dallin's birth mom gave him the precious gift of life and now Zane and I are giving him a life with an eternal family. I didn't understand true sacrifice until that moment when she placed Dallin in our arms. Not a day goes by when I don't look at my son and say a prayer thanking Heavenly Father for bringing Dallin's birth mom to our lives and for her sacrifice. She is our angel, our hero.


At placement



Dallin at 14 months on our Las Vegas trip

8 comments:

Brigette Little said...

I am so sorry to hear of her passing. She takes with her the memory of the precious gift she gave to you, and for the gift of an eternal family to Dallin.

tblattman said...

I am sorry to hear the news. I have always admired your love and respect for Dallin's birth mom.

Sylvia said...

I've thought of that song from Wicked many times but what a perfect application here.

Kelsie was perfect in wanting more for Dallin and recognizing how to get it for him. She couldn't have picked a better family for him and I know as she watches over him and his amazing parents she will be eternally grateful that though her life was difficult at best, her choice for your "shared" son was spot on.

Shelly! said...

Oh Ariane. I am so sorry to hear her news. Your love and appreciation of her has always been amazing to witness.

That picture of the three of you is so touching...

Lesley said...

What a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing that with us. How wonderful that you had a reason to go and see her and for her to see Dallin just a few months ago.

James, Cameo, Jacob, and Eli said...

Oh my goodness!! That is soo sad!! I can't imagine her sacrifice - I look at that picture of her looking down at Dallin as a baby, and I just can't even imagine what she must be feeling. Dallin is blessed to have a maternal mom who loved him enough to give him to you, and to have an eternal mom and dad who love him and will give him the best life he can have!!

Steve and Jen said...

I am sorry to hear about Kelsey! You two share something that can't be described, I'm sure! So glad that you have those sweet pictures! And I am so glad that Dallen already has a fantastic family to be with for eternity!

We love you all!

simple mom/wife said...

Oh, Ariane. What emotions I felt as I read. I'm so sorry to hear such sad news. Dallin is so blessed to have you and Zane! I'm overwhelmed with thankfulness for Heavenly Father's plan for each one of his children. I see and feel the love he has had for each one of you in those precious photos!