Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Snow, Snow, Snow!

 Being from a place where it rarely snows (and if it does, school is cancelled even though the snow doesn't actually stick to the ground), we aren't equipped to play in snow, but we sure love it!  In hindsight, I probably should have gone to a used clothing store and picked up some snow clothes, but who knew we were going to be in Utah this long and we would get so much snow!

The first weekend we were in town, it snowed a little but thinking this may be all we get, we took advantage of it and made do.  The boys loved it but only for 20 minutes because without snow boots, gloves that stay on (and the boys kept taking off their gloves to feel the snow), and snow pants, it got too cold to play in. 




Gavin with his favorite Aunt Toni

Even though he didn't have snow pants, Dallin would roll around in the snow.  He was having so much fun, it didn't seem to bother him.
 By the end of this little outing, I was carrying Gavin back to the house with his frozen hands inside my coat.  He was soon fast asleep on my shoulder but with a smile on his face.

The next weekend a really nice snow storm hit allowing multiple sledding trips and better hills.  We were able to gather some snow pants for Dallin, put gloves on him in such a way that he couldn't pull them off, and boots that were also way too big.  He stayed warm though and loved it!  Zane or I would go out with Dallin in the snow while Gavin napped since we didn't have the right clothes for him.

Dallin with his cousin Garett ready for some sledding!

Building a snowman
 The balls were so heavy that it took the whole group to pile them on top of each other
 A snowman with a hat?

Our last outing was while Zane was working and taking care of Liliane and I was in charge of entertaining the kids.  We found some way too big boots for Gavin and tried to make due.
Dallin wasn't thrilled that I would let Gavin sit on the sled and pull him up the hill since I was trying to keep him out of the snow as much as possible.  Because Dallin was wearing too big of boots, he had a really hard time walking up the hill.  At first I just made him by letting him hold onto my arm for support and helped him up the hill.  I finally caved though after three or four runs and let him sit on the sled.  Let's just say I got my workout that day pulling both boys up the hill.  I was wondering why I was wearing a coat since I was sweating from exertion.  Dallin would yell out encouragement that sounded a lot like what I say to him.  "You can do it.  You are so strong.  Keep going."  The encouragement didn't help much. I had to cut this outing short because Gavin was getting too cold and my muscles couldn't take much more.

We discovered that we love playing in snow especially when you have the right clothing!

1 comment:

Matt and Haley said...

Love Dallin's words of encouragement! I can totally imagine the whole scene.