Monday, June 8, 2009

Dallin the Menace

I left Dallin in the bathroom while I went into my closet to get ready to get in the shower. My closet in connected to my bathroom, so he was out of my sight for maybe 30 seconds at the most. I walk back into the bathroom and Dallin is gone. Panic...My heart starts racing and I scream out his name (I'm a little melodramatic so I immediately thought someone had come into my house and stolen my baby.) I hurry out into the hallway and there is Dallin sitting on the tile floor looking at me like, "What's the big deal mom." I quickly assess the situation- Dallin is holding a piece of glass, nail polish is all over my tile (luckily yellow not red so that my mind didn't jump immediately to blood), and glass is all around him. (Heart racing, breath) I took the piece of glass away, and rush him to the bathroom to start checking him over for cuts. Meanwhile, Dallin's sticky, nail polished covered hands are grabbing at my neck and sticking to my hair. Ok, luckily there were no cuts or any injuries. Next step...washing Dallin down with fingernail polish remover. Dallin really, I only left you for 30 seconds!!!

Well, the situation could have been a lot worse. Instead, Dallin and I are using nail polish remover as a body wash and my tile is clean and sparkling (from where I might have missed some drops of yellow nail polish) and also smelling like nail polish remover. If you see me without toe nail polish it is because my nail polish is now stored on the highest shelf in my closet where only a ladder can reach it, and I may be too lazy to get it down.

Here is the list of messes/catastrophes my adorable one year old menace has made:
1. Cell phone thrown into the baby pool full of water
2. Objects that should not be getting wet thrown into my bucket of soapy water (Dallin woke up from his nap early and I hadn't finished cleaning the bathrooms. I thought I could hurry and finish while he played with toys near me. Never again!)
3. Hand soap container thrown onto the floor and spilling soap (luckily it was also on tile so that part of my bathroom is really clean.)
4. Dropping the bottle of dishwasher soap on Zane's stomach while he was trying to fix the drain on the sink (Dallin was trying to show off his good aim and strong muscles.)
5. Climbing up on the flour and wheat buckets in order to pull down cereal from a higher shelf dumping it on the floor
6. Climbing on the dishwasher while I try to fill it, opening up the dishwasher container where the paci's are kept, and pulling one out (This one I actually think is brilliant because he sees me putting his paci into the dishwasher and figures out a way to get it back out again!)
7. Putting teaspoons or anything close by into the mixer while I'm trying to bake something
8. Spilling flour everywhere as he tries to "help" with the baking
And this was just this weekend!

Lessons I have learned:
Dallin is learning some knew skills. He can climb, reach, move objects around in order to find things that I thought were hidden in the back of a cabinet, and pretty much find a way to get anything that I do not want him to get into. I thought my house was baby proof. It now needs to become one year old proof!

Is this normal for a one year old little boy????

Climbing up

There it is, my paci!

9 comments:

Mike said...

that is hilarious. Yes that is normal. Brigg did it more than brayden. FUn with the nail polish. Luckily he was okay.

brandif10 said...

Oh yes! You have an extremely normal child. Enjoy it though, it does slow down and improves. They want to know everything and try everything. It seems you can't ever turn your back. Have fun!

Brigette Little said...

TOTALLY, TOTALLY NORMAL! Welcome to little boyhood. It's awesome. Here's the good news: I am absolutely convinced that little boys have special angels assigned to them to help them make it to adulthood. Joseph climbed the shelves on our refrigerator door recently. Of course, one of them gave out, and I found him sitting on the floor with broken glass all around him. Not a scratch.

Matt and Haley said...

Bummer about the nail polish and bathing in the remover. I hate the smell of nail polish remover! I'm glad Dallin was okay though.

Anonymous said...

At least you are a real mom about it. I totally would have cleaned off the nail polish before thinking of the glass. I need to work on my mom-oriented mind, eh? Sorry it was so rough! The paci part is the cutest though. 3 of those happened in one day while I was there, right? I should have taken him while you were mopping the floor, but I guess that was the least amount of mess. :) I miss that boy and it's only been a few days. I get to see him Thursday though!

Jared and Kari said...

I simply cannot relate. Drew is the exception when it comes to boys, I guess. With his OCD about getting dirty, I never had to deal with any of that. Strange now that I think about it. I guess I just didn't fully appreciate how "clean" I had it. Unfortunately, I don't see the same obsessiveness in Sam so I just might get a taste of what you're going through. Hilarious stories, though, and great memories! I just love my little nephew!

Steve and Jen said...

Oh so funny! Yup it seems some days that there aren't enough shelves that are high enough to put the stuff that you don't want them to get into, on.
Funny, typical, cute little boy!
These are the mom stories that make us smile when they have grown a foot or two!
Glad he's safe and that you got the yellow mess CLEAN!

Dawn said...

Sorry to say but I can't stop laughing! It brings back memories to my boys being crazy, busy boys! They definetly keep us on our toes :)

simple mom/wife said...

Oh it sounds sooo familiar! I'm starting to look around my house and realize that those kinds of things don't happen as much; my house is completely NOT baby proof anymore. I guess it'll have to change! Go Dallin, Go!