Friday, July 17, 2009

New Accomplishments

As I'm getting my food storage built up, I finally purchased wheat. After going to a bread-making class, I have started making wheat bread. My family loves it, and I can't tell you the satisfaction it gives me to watch Dallin eat my bread that I made for him. Zane had a stomach-ache after the first time I made it, but it was probably from eating five pieces in a row. I doubt his body was used to that much wheat.

My second big accomplishment was setting a new running record. As a part of our 4 mile run/walk, my sister times a mile of it through the trails in the forest near my house. The neighborhood has marked out each 1/8th mile which really helps when you are racing for time. The problem with this race is that my sister has the watch with her which motivates her to run faster. I never stay with her because she is way faster than me so I have trouble motivating myself to really push it. I usually let her leave me in the dust and run a nice, even mile. Over the July 4th weekend, Zane joined us on our run. Although Zane loves running (he was a very good sprinter in high school), his only exercise now is walking to and from his car. When we approached the mile, Zane, while pushing Dallin, chose to speed up with Haley and try to stay with her. I set a goal for myself to beat my 9 minute time and let them go without me. When I reached the 6/8 marker I saw Zane up ahead of me. He had lost steam and had slowed down. I realized then that I could beat him. I felt great because I wasn't pushing the stroller and sped up to pass him. I finished off with a great sprint and ran a 7:40 mile! I probably haven't ran that fast of a mile (that's fast for me) since high school. Now the only problem is to try to do that again! Haley now tells me my time to beat is 7:40. Unfortunately, I'm already back to doing 9 minute miles. I need Zane to push me!

4 comments:

Brigette Little said...

Your bread looks beautiful! I used to bake bread every week when my first couple of kids were little. The only bread Cameron would eat was mine - I loved that! Congrats on the great run! I had my best time ever when trying to keep up with someone, too. A little competition goes a long way!

Sylvia said...

Totally impressed! You are awesome!!

Mike said...

Go Ariane! Come run with Holli and I on The 24th for the 10k. You will beat us all.

tblattman said...

I need to get your recipe.