Thursday, December 11, 2008

Snow...Amazing

I started getting many phone calls in the late afternoon yesterday to go look out my window. Sure enough, it was snowing. I wasn't sure at first because it did kind of look like rain, but it was snow. By the time I was leaving that night, the snow was actually sticking to the ground on my flower beds. A couple of thoughts went through my mind. First, I should have covered my flowers. I usually only worry about covering the flowers at night if it is going to freeze, so I hadn't done that yet. By the time I got home it seemed a little pointless to cover my flowers because they were already covered by snow. Kind of a bummer since I spend so much time planting them.
The second thought was how amazing it was to see the snow piled up on the cars parked outside. I thought it was a good thing I still have my window scraper from when I lived in Utah, but then again, the windows weren't icing up and the snow wasn't that heavy, so a window scraper wasn't needed.
My third thought was I needed to be careful driving and it was a good thing I have my SUV now. Right after we bought our SUV, I noticed that there were a couple of functions that were used in relation to driving in snow. I thought then that maybe we didn't get the right car for Houston. Now I was glad I had them, but of course I don't know what those buttons do anyways. There was no need to worry though because the snow wasn't sticking to the street.
Although our Utah friends are going to laugh at our little snow storm, it was an amazing sight to see. I can only remember one other time seeing snow while living here. My mom says it happens more then I think, but I have never seen it stick to the ground like it did last night.

As you can see, it didn't stick very well because there is no snow on the bricks around our flower gardens. By morning it was gone, but don't worry the flowers did survive. Temperatures this weekend will be back in the 70's where honestly I like them to stay. (Sorry the pictures are so dark. We were taking them in the dark with only Christmas lights lighting the way. We knew with in a couple of hours all the evidence would disappear.)

1 comment:

Steve and Jen said...

I saw this on the news and was in AAWW! That is crazy! But I do remember it snowing in houston in 04 on x-mas eve. Check out our snowstorm on my blog. We obviously had to buy a snow shovel.