Saturday, November 26, 2011

Beautiful Heartbreak


I love this song from Hilary Weeks.  It puts into words so many of my thoughts and feelings over the years.  I have been thinking about infertility a lot lately as I have two friends struggling with secondary infertility.  They are both at that moment when the doctor looks at you and says he doesn't know what else to do.  That maybe they should look at other options.  It has been almost five years since my last IVF when our doctor said those words to us.  A door was closing on our hopes and dreams and at the same time another door, called adoption, was opening.   It was new, different and very scary, but soon we started seeing a new light shine through.  We grabbed hold of that light and started learning everything we could about adoption.  Hope came back in our lives then.

During those infertility years I struggled at church and other activities listening to women talk about their pregnancies, complain about pregnancies, or complain about children.  I just wasn't in a place emotionally that I could handle it.  I felt like God must love these women more than me because they could get pregnant or that there was something wrong with me.  I felt God must not think I was good enough to be a mom.  

It was at these lowest points that I would see miracles happen. These came in the form of a church talk that said exactly what I needed to hear, something that a friend said, or a peaceful feeling in my heart that brought the comfort and a surety that God heard my prayers and would answer them in His way and His time.  This was also the time when I started to understand the atonement of Jesus Christ better and build a relationship with him.  

I was asked today while a women was talking about a surprise pregnancy if it was hard to hear things like that, someone who can get pregnant so easily.  I'm so glad that I could say that it doesn't bother me anymore.  Infertility never goes away and there are times when I still get sad, but I'm sad for different reasons.  The hard days come when we are trying to find our next baby and I'm frustrated with the process.  Those days all I can think about is how much easier, and lets face it, more fun, it would be if I could just get pregnant.  Now I know that pregnancy really isn't easy.  I have watched members of my family go through sickness the entire pregnancy to extremely hard recoveries, but on days when I'm really frustrated with the adoption process, I forget about those things and just think how hard I have it.  Those days are far and few between though.  Instead I try not to think about the long journey ahead of us, and instead think about the end result.

Infertility took an emotional battering to my heart, but with each hug and kiss from my boys, my heart starts to heal.  Zane and I don't have this wishful thinking deep down hoping to get pregnant one day.  We closed that door and are thrilled with the path we are on.  We are thrilled because that path gave us two beautiful boys.  I wouldn't change anything about my boys including their birth stories.  Their birth families are part of who they are, and my boys and their birth families are amazing.


Every fear, every doubt, All the pain I went through
Was the price that I paid to see this view
And now that I’m here I would never trade
The grace that I feel and the faith that I find
Through the bittersweet tears and the sleepless nights
I used to pray that He’d take it all away,
But instead it became
A Beautiful Heartbreak.
 (Chorus from "Beautiful Heartbreak" by Hilary Weeks)

So to my friends going through infertility, don't give up.  There is a plan and one day when you have little arms wrapping around your neck giving you hugs and kisses you will look back at the journey and say it was worth it. 

4 comments:

Shelly! said...

Your journey through the process of IVF and then adoption have been incredible to watch. I am amazed at your strength, and your ability to see the bigger picture even in the midst of incredibly hard times. I love that I get to know you through this blog - wish we were closer! I know your story, and your strength from it, will benefit other women (and their families) who struggle with IVF and adoption. Much love to you and yours!

Jared and Kari said...

Very well said. We sure miss you guys!

Matt and Haley said...

Beautifully written.

brandif10 said...

That was beautiful! I hope you can help those friends with your heartfelt words!