Sunday, November 23, 2014

Family Happenings: Update on Homeschooling

 I'm playing catch up again. It has been hard to keep up with the blog lately. If only I could hook up a computer to my head where I write blog posts all the time while I'm doing mundane tasks. Who knows what brilliant posts would be published? Instead my goal is to keep birth moms/families and extended families up to date and have some kind of journal of our family.

Update on homeschooling:
Dallin was so successful with schooling last year, that I really wanted to do it again this year. He made some great strides and Zane and I felt like he needed at least another year home. I was worried about teaching with two babies but it has gone fine. I wish we could do all our schooling in the morning and be done for the day, but we actually do more schooling in the afternoon when Lili and Talmage are taking a nap. I try to have friends over at least three times a week especially since we aren't doing a sport right now. On Fridays, the boys go to school at a Baptist church with about 300 other home schooled kids. First graders and under are divided in classes where they have science, art, PE, music, story time, Bible study, and recess. Second graders and older pick three electives so next year Dallin could start taking classes like fencing, karate, cooking, and tons of other electives. We love this group. It is a little far away, but it is worth it. Poor Lili and Talmage run errands with me while the boys are there so Fridays are probably their least favorite days.

Home school Field Trip

My favorite parts of home schooling:
I feel like with home schooling I have more time to teach the kids skills beyond just math and reading. The kids help out with a lot of the chores. Dallin is getting really good at doing dishes and vacuuming. Gavin is in charge of the dishwasher. When Dallin wants to earn extra money, he cleans the bathroom. I wish he wanted the extra money every week! I'm working on helping my boys become independent at their morning routine (making bed, getting dressed etc) with a chart system. With two boys who are distracted very easily, this can be difficult. It is hard to remember more than one instruction at a time! We also work on social skills. Right now we are doing What to Do When Your Temper Flares and it is a great resource!

Dallin is doing piano lessons as part of his curriculum. I tried him out at a piano teacher and it didn't work out. It is hard to get Dallin to sit on a piano bench. At home though, I can handle it and Dallin is doing awesome. He loves playing the piano and will play for everyone who comes to our house. Dallin thinks that schooling means Reading, Math, Science, Writing, and Piano. It is just another subject. We are still using Music Mind Games a lot and sometimes Gavin joins in for those.

I like that I could find a math curriculum that fits my boys. We play a lot of math games and do less worksheets. It has been very interesting to see Dallin come home from his Friday classes with the papers in his backpack. I ask him why something wasn't finished or why he wrote like he did, and he just says he told his teacher he would do it later. A lot of times people don't know how much to push Dallin or what you can really expect from him. I can push him and I do. I can do this because it is one on one.

Lastly, I love how close my kids are and how much they play together. Dallin and Gavin have time for jumping on the tramp, playing legos, imaginary games etc in their day.

Homeschooling can be super hard on me. I never have enough time to teach them everything I want to, and change 12 diapers a day, and stay on top of dishes, and make dinner, and clean etc. If you want to visit, warn me ahead of time so I can at least wipe down the bathrooms! You will also find toys and messes all over the house and laundry all over my room. We have four kids here full time playing hard.


About a month before school started, a few friends started talking about a Joy School for Gavin's age. I debated joining, but then I realized I would be frustrated. I like to be in charge of what and how subjects are being taught. I also have a whole room full of great school supplies so it is just as easy for me to teach in my home. I was also feeling guilty because since I started home schooling, I didn't teach preschool in my home for Gavin and his friends. He sat on the sidelines through all of Dallin's years and was now missing out. After much discussion with Zane, I decided to start teaching preschool again but only once a week. Every Monday three of Gavin's friends come over for school and Lili joins in on the fun. I'm constantly telling Zane how amazing Lili is at school. She can sit on a carpet square for longer than a minute...this is so unusual for my family. It blows my mind! Dallin gets paid to be my helper at preschool. He does a great job and for the most part, takes his job very seriously. Sometimes he is the teacher's helper and sometimes he is helping with the babies. He is always in charge of our recess/PE time and gets those kids moving!  Gavin loves having his friends over every week. During the rest of the week, I teach him his preschool lessons while I'm teaching Dallin. I will teach one boy a subject while the other is playing in the toy room and then they switch. Sometimes during their break, they play educational games on the I Pad. 

My Super Hero
This kid wears a lot of costumes during the day!


No comments: