Friday, September 20, 2013

Finding the Joy in Motherhood

I feel like since Lili was born, our family has just been hanging on. Lili is a fantastic baby, but three kids is just busy. Then of course I started teaching preschool again, both my church callings (my volunteer work) got extremely busy for a couple months, swim season hit, we started looking for a house to buy, we got our house ready to sell and then there was the craziness of selling, buying, packing and moving. Throw in birthdays and the day to day activities, and life has been a whirlwind. I can't believe my baby is almost 10 months old and crawling up stairs.


I feel like the last 9 months I relied heavily on play dates for the boys (someone else other than me occupying them so I can get things done) and the TV as a babysitter.

Since the move though things have changed. I couldn't organize play dates because we didn't know anyone. I couldn't go on outings with friends and let the kids all play together while mom's talked. Instead I had to be the entertainment while not knowing where anything was in our new house since there were boxes everywhere. I had my normal to do list unpacking being number one but other than that, other pressures disappeared. I'm not teaching preschool right now because we chose to home school Dallin for his Kindergarten year (another post will explain further), and volunteering with my church slowed way down as we adjusted to our new area. The stress of buying, selling, and moving were over. Life just calmed down and I started seeing the joy in being a mother again.

I find myself laughing more at my boys' silliness instead of getting frustrated by it. I'm more relaxed. Dallin makes up crazy games like jumping from the stairs onto the bean bag flying like superman.  It was pretty amazing. (We bought the trampoline soon after that game. When Zane asked why he was putting up a trampoline at 10 p.m. when there were so many other things on our to do list in our house, I just informed him that the trampoline had moved way up to number 1. The boys need a place to jump.) We sit around and try to make Lili laugh for the camera or just be amazed at the new things she is learning.  During the summer we swam together and now we jump together and even occasionally eat frozen pizza (which I never do) because sometimes playing is more important than cooking that day.

Sometimes we jump in the rain until we are laughing and are too wet to keep jumping.


I'm one lucky mom.

3 comments:

Kimberly said...

She's gotten so big, but still so tiny. She is adorable.
With three 3 and under in our home, I totally understand this post!
I'm interested to hear why you are homeschooling. We thought of it for Levi because he misses the cutoff date by one day! (9/2) But the more I talk to teachers, parents and the advice of some of their pediatricians, I am wondering if the year he has to wait, may be beneficial...I'm still so conflicted. I hope you can shed some light on the issue.
Beautiful family!

Kristin said...

Beautiful post and great perspective.

Unknown said...

We just read LOTS of blog posts to get caught up on your family. Harry was missing his 'best bud' Dallin while we read. So where did you guys move to? Do you like it? I'm so curious about all of that now! Hope all is well.

Niki