Monday, November 26, 2012

Look Who Rides without Training Wheels!

Either I'm a brilliant teacher or Dallin has great balance.  He learned to ride a bike in 3 minutes.

18 months ago we started teaching Dallin how to ride a bike with training wheels.  He had a really hard time pushing the wheels around and needed some pushes from us to keep going. Eventually he got it but because of the training wheels, he was way slower than the bigger boys on the street.  Then Santa brought him a three wheel scooter and the bike was forgotten.  By Easter, Dallin was cruising on a normal scooter and got to be so fast that he could keep up with the big boys.  When I actually get out running, Dallin will scooter along with me for three miles.

On Tuesday, Zane pulled the bike down and fixed it up again getting ready for Dallin to ride it.  He took off the training wheels and we thought over Thanksgiving break we would start working on it.  Dallin kept pestering me all morning on Wednesday to let him ride the bike.  I kept trying to put him off until Zane got home from work because teaching Dallin can be difficult at times.  If something is hard, he won't put the effort into learning and just move on.  The neighborhood boys were out on the street though riding, so I finally gave in and grabbed the bike.  I gave a great pep talk about how riding a bike can be hard, he may fall, and it will take practice etc.  Dallin road while I held the seat. I soon moved to just holding his shoulder because he seemed to be balancing really well.  Dallin kept telling me to just let go and so I did.  He took off and never looked back turning and stopping himself without any problems.  He had one fall when he and a neighbor boy collided, but after a few tears and a band aid, he got up and tried again.  He loves racing the big boys and could spend every waking moment riding. 
 I love the tongue hanging out when he is thinking.  Grandpa does that too.

3 comments:

Kara Shurtliff said...

Clay and Carter both stick out their tongues when they are doing sports or things of that nature too!

Jared and Kari said...

Way to go Dallin! What a big boy!

Matt and Haley said...

So impressive!