Sunday, October 21, 2012

Click!

I joined my sister, mom and lots of friends at Time Out For Women this year.  The weekend was wonderful, but one idea in particular has helped me in my every day duties as a mom.  Every time I think a positive, uplifting, or optimistic thought, I pull out my clicker and click!  By the end of the day, instead of being angry and worn out raising my voice at the littlest things, I am a happy worn out mom.  For instance, when Zane calls to say he is working late I think, "I'm so grateful that Zane's boss thinks so highly of him that she gives him so much work to do. It is nice to know we have job security."  Click!  Or after dinner when I survey the mess on the floor I think, "What a great opportunity to have my children learn the value of work."  Click!  When Dallin is rude to Gavin I think, "I'm so glad my furniture gets to be dusted now."  Click!  (I noticed this week that I actually had to do the dusting because apparently Dallin didn't earn as many chores.)

And then there was this time. 
We made martian goo at preschool (cornstarch and water) and while I was saying goodbye to parents, Gavin had some fun.  My first thought was, I'm glad I didn't die the goo green." Click! Then, "I'm glad I didn't have time to mop my kitchen floor and clean my wood floor last night." Click! (In fact, I had to think these two thoughts over and over again while I spent the next two hours doing a very thorough cleaning...sweeping, moping, cleaning under all the furniture in my family room, and vacuuming the rug and couch.  The white powder was over/under everything!) Gavin was so proud of himself, I could only laugh (although that was a bad reaction because Dallin, thinking Gavin was going to be in huge trouble, had a confused look on his face.  I'm sure he was thinking that he could make an even bigger mess if this is going to make mom laugh...)

So clicking has kept me sane, mostly calm, and happy.  We all know that when mom is happy, everyone is happier.  Try it.  Clicking just might help you too!

See the video below for Hillary Week's explanation of clicking.

No comments: