Monday, June 11, 2012

Another Head Wound

Gavin's first head wound came two weeks earlier when he tried to climb the ladder to Dallin's loft bed, fell off, and hit the window seal with the back of his head.  The wound bled a lot even though it was only a small cut and I could see it wasn't deep.  I kept debating about whether to take him to the doctors but finally after twenty minutes of putting pressure on it (the best I could with a squirmy two year old) it stopped.

Two weeks later, Gavin climbed in bed with me in the morning and started trying to jump on my tummy (a favorite pass time.)  He climbed off me and went for the clock on my night stand.  Somehow he fell and hit his head on the corner.  I was facing the wrong way and just couldn't catch him in time.  This wound though didn't bleed much and Gavin didn't cry for very long.  (The picture below was 10 hours later which explains the smile.)  Zane and I didn't even consider taking him to the doctors.  I put a band aid on it and went on with our day of TaeKwonDo and a zoo trip.
 That night we looked at it again after a bath and I started getting worried that maybe I should have taken him to the doctor.  I would have called my all knowing nurse/family doctor (at least we treat her as such) sister-in-law Kari, but she of course moved away from me.  So I called my mom who informed me that of course I should take him in.  Gavin's face is too pretty to have an ugly scare which was sure to happen if we let it heal on its own.  My mom is always right.

The doctor gave Gavin's cut a good cleaning and then taped it shut.  Gavin did not enjoy any of it but as you can see, he bounced back pretty fast.  The doctor said to leave the tape alone and after a week it would fall off.  This tape was amazing though and stayed on two weeks and only came off because we started getting it wet and helping it along. 


How do you keep an active 2 year old who climbs on everything from hitting his head?  I think we need to invest in a football helmet.

1 comment:

Jared and Kari said...

I'm so sorry I wasn't there to help!! If he does get a scar, he'll just see it as a cool battle wound!